Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas........, or Am I Ready?

Well it has been a while, Christmas is hurtling closer and I still haven't done Christmas cards. Bummer. I am actually starting to lose motivation given that it has occurred to me that they may not reach their destination by Wednesday if I post them Monday, and as for those overseas gifts and cards, well......

Never the less we are looking forward to Christmas, which will be a little different this year. We always visit mine or Trevor's family alternate years. Obviously I love going home to Armidale. My dad is one of 5 brothers, my grandmother is still alive, and most, if not all of the family always congregate together.It used to be at my grandmother's house but now rotates amongst the houses of the Armidale members. It is predictable, comforting, tradition blended with a little something new (newer every year), with a plethora of cousins, and now, the great grandchildren, of which there are already 6. Trevor's family on the other hand tend to have a smaller Christmas. They are a little less likely to spend Christmas all together, there is less tradition, more chance of tension, but just as much fun, and with 6 siblings and 13 grandchildren, it still proves to be quite a large gathering. This year, Trevor has actually decided that he doesn't feel like exchanging Christmas cheer with his family (a little too much tension, a little bit too little fun), so we are spending it for the first time ever with friends (our "non blood-tied" family), and we can't wait. I do have some feelings of regret that we aren't doing the family thing, or is it just anxiety at breaking with tradition and going against the flow? Regardless, we will wake up in our own home, open presents, and have a light brunch. Yep, I said brunch! I am thinking of some sort of Turkey Salad, any ideas? I have a turkey breast to cook the day before, must defrost it soon. We will then head to Dubbo a bit after midday join with all of our friends. There will be swimming, and kids close in age, and good wine and great company. I can't wait, have I said that before? So as we do something a little different this year, I wish you all a Merry Christmas, however you are all spending it! I hope that everyone is with someone that they love, and who loves them.

3 comments:

Kyla said...

Merry Xmas Nicole & Happy Birthday for tomorrow. Your post sounds exactly like the one that I am composing in my head. Your Xmas also sounds identical to ours. Spooky!!!

Neek said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICOLE!!

Do not feel guilty. Remember you are your own family and you can spend Christmas how you like! Enjoy the day. We are doing EXACTLY the same thing. We are breaking with the flow and spending Christmas as our "own" family! For 10 years we have either had someone here, gone somewhere the day before or tripped to Dubbo after opening presents. Time to do our own thing as our own family! Most likely not popular - but it needs to be done!

We are looking forward to it! As should you.

Have a great Christmas!!

Kyla said...

I have been very slack at this blogging thing. Where are you??