Thursday, October 30, 2008

A funny (slightly embarrassing) story)

This last week or so has been hectic, no, bedlam! Late nights up baking culminated in a very hectic, long day on Wednesday at the Preschool Market day (well done girls). I raced to town having put the boys on the bus, dropped Prue to the babysitter and parked in front of the town hall (on the sunny side so as to unload all of the cakes). I then stayed there ALL DAY until 4pm. At that stage I was just looking forward to getting Prue and going to Mrs Quarmby's house where the boys were for a sit down and a nice cool drink and a chat before tap dancing.

So I unlocked the car and noticed a lot of black oil in the floor well of the driver's side. hmm, what the? So I couldn't find my mobile and decided to drive quickly, get the kids and go home immediately. As soon as I started the car, lots of REALLY HOT black stuff leaked all over my foot. I parked in the main street to go to the ATM to pay the babysitter and was still in a dilemma when my darling husband hurtles past in his Beverly hillbilly-looking landcruiser ute! Excellent I think. So I flagged him down and he gave me that look that only farmers can give immediately before or during harvest, which meant "don't hassle me, what do you want?" So I REALLY flagged him down!

When he stopped I pointed out the problem area, which elicited a lot of mumbling about there being no oil in this part of the car. Anyway we drove home in convoy, having stood up a few people, raced into the Quarmby's and given Neralie the panicked account, dragged the kids out mid game, with no more oil having leaked since I flaggged Trevor (typical). I had a nervous drive home waiting for the car to explode or the steering to give out! Trevor didn't get to look at the car until 7am this morning when I said "Is my car driveable????". He walked back in as I was eating my Fibre Plus saying "we have a major problem, the car is seriously broken". Strangely his voice didn't have the harried, p-ssed off tone that would normally go with those words. So I turned around to look at him...and promptly burst out laughing spraying fibre plus and milk all over my darling husband. He was holding a small black bottle of......SHOE POLISH. Apparently, in the heat of the day, the liquid in the bottle of SHOE POLISH had expanded and leaked everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, shoe polish! Imagine if I had taken it to one of the local mechanics and said "excuse me but my car is broken"!!!!!

11 comments:

The Robb's said...

What a day girl.

Now it will become one of Trevor's fav stories to tell the blokes. At least you have given him a break in the stress of harvest & I'm sure one he will chuckle about for a while, not sure about the brekky in the face though.

Thanks for the morning amusement - something I would probably do.

Neek said...

ROFPML......... That is HILARIOUS!

Why I finally got your phone msg about Wednesday afternoon (on Thurs mind you!) I thought you poor thing - BECAUSE I had serious car troubles Wednesday night too! Broke down 400m from the house!! dead stop. I went into an utter panic becuase DH was stll on shift, the other car was pulled down & I had comitments I needed to get to the next day.

He fixed it at 10pm that night - and it goes ......... But how I wish it was a bottle of shoe polish though!!

:) :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

LMAO Nic, that is too funny.... Glad it was nothing major though.....
Amie xx

Anonymous said...

You crazy woman! Thanks for the huge laugh I just had. I needed it.
Does your husband think you are silly yet or is he like mine with resigned 'my wife is stupid' attitude!
So funny.
Nic aka the former bride of Begsy

Nicole said...

Well Nicky, he can't criticise too much. He checked in and around and even took it for a test drive, muttering all the while about electronic oil sensors, before leading the convoy home!!!!

Annoying thing is, anyone who knows me knows that my car is normally full of "stuff". Only last week, sick of water bottles, textas and kiddie books falling out everytime I opened a door, I actually did a COMPLETE clean out. All I left in the WHOLE car was the handcream and the bl--dy boot polish on the dash board in front of the steering wheel, cos' you never know when you might need them!! Of course you may be wondering now why I couldn't see this and I must point out that I drive a really big car and can't actualy see everything in the extreme corners of the dash board! Well that's my excuse anyway. Thank goodness for a completely vinyl, carpet-free base model landcruiser, and those giant bucket like rubber floor mats that we put in there to catch the mud. It really was bloody hot on my foot though.....

Nicole said...

Trevor now tells me that he actually completely pulled the dash out before finding the boot polish on the dash board...ooops

Anonymous said...

I must admit it was quite funny Nicole when you came through the door with your foot covered in black stuff and it was even funnier when you told me what it was the next morning!!

Nicole said...

yes Neralie, don't think that I missed the full-on open look of hilarity on your face as I stood their trying not to get "oil" on your floor.

Sarah said...

That is gold.

The Robb's said...

It keeps getting better.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blondie! where you blonde at some stage of your life? Carol